21 October 2013

160 Hours of Totoro

The title might be an exaggeration.

Might.


Even Batman watches Totoro.

Rory just can't seem to kick this cold. Every time he seems to be gettin better, it gets worse again. And the only way to keep him relatively peaceful (he is called Roranicus Rex for a reason), is to give him his bottle of milk and put Totoro on. He is vastly uninterested in any other movie, but will repeatedly ask for and watch Totoro. He goes to the screen, asks, pulls the case off the shelf and brings it to you. If you ignore this request? He will try to open and insert the DVD on his own.

Oh, the hours of Totoro.


Classy.

Luckily, it does allow for some premium chore doing and he knows he is only allowed one Totoro viewing per day. Though we sometimes disagree on that point...

For awhile, I felt pretty awful about letting him watch it. You know, placating my child while I do my own thing. But it's such a good film. I never get tired of watching it either. It is good paced and simplistic, encouraging imagination while maintaining the normalcy of everyday life.


This morning we are watching our beloved furry friend in Mama's lap because we still don't feel well. And the chores can wait. These snuggly moments of watching children's movies will not last forever.

I will take them for as long as I get them.



No comments:

Post a Comment