07 January 2011

Load It, Cock It, And Pull It

I wrote this awhile back rather... but I have no desire to write currently so here it is, dearling.



I have the desire to brush my teeth, but also the desire to drink large quantities of orange juice. These things do not coincide well...

Why do I believe in God.

It's the loaded question you've all been waiting for. I do believe that this blog calls for bullets ((the paragraphical kind, not the ammunition related kind)), so as there is no confusion. I'll go ahead and start with this sentiment; You don't have to believe the things that I do, but I do ask that you respect my opinions. I have seen a lot of this world, experienced a plethera of things, and have come to my own conclusions. I have not always believed the things I believe now and have come to my level of theology of my own searching, discovery, interpretation, and understanding. I ask not that you concur with every statement made, disagreement is nothing but encourage in this arena. But I do request that you respect my beliefs as I would respect any statement of faith you made. I do not say these things lightly and great thought has gone into them, so take as much thought if or when you respond. I will throw it out there that these are not complete arguments because, honestly? Each paragraph could be an entire essay complete with quotes and bibliography. But I'm reaching for simple here, Kidds, so stay with me.

Firstly and foremost, I believe in God because I believe humans have intrinsic worth. I believe that at our cores, we are valuable. I believe that each of us have purpose. That we all have our part to play in this life, in this world. To not believe in a god or creator would be to believe that humanity is random chance. And if we are merely random chance? We have no self value or purpose. Leading into...

Secondly, without purpose and worth? There is no morality. If no god exists, then human "morality" can be determined on an individual level and "evil" does not exist. When someone commits mass genocide or rapes and kills children, there is no responsibility because there is no morality. They do it because they feel that it is right.

[Sidenote: It can be noted that often throughout history, various sides committing atrocious crimes have claimed to have a god on their side. I want to make it very clear that I am not condoning this. Anyone can attempt to justify their actions by throwing the word "god" in the mix. This does not mean that any god had anything to do with their actions.]

Thirdly, without a creator or intelligent design? We are alive for no purpose but to complete the circle of life and end up as lunch for Simba. But if we are alive for no purpose, why are we aware we are alive at all? How could be possibly be aware of ourselves and not have purpose?

Those are the top three reasons I believe in God. So then, the logical next question is: Why the god of Christianity? Hmm, well you could argue that it is the god I grew up with. But I've researched Religion and travelled extensively, so perhaps not. You could argue it's because I'm an American and a large percentage of Americans believe in some form of god. Except, I've never identified as an American but rather as a Native Hawaiian, a nation which was basically gang raped by the United States and only legally made a part of the USA after the guilt trip of Pearl Harbor. A nation with a rich pagan mythology, so again - perhaps not. Then maybe it's because my parents believe in the Christian God? I rebelled against my parents from ages 12 to 20 and then proceeded to travel the world, so they never really had a whole lot of say in my belief system. Perhaps. Not. Try again...

Why the God of Christianity?

Because the Bible was written over the course of 1500 years by hundreds of different authors who all believed in the same things.
Because Jesus fufilled over 300 prophecies and is the only historical figure to appear in more than one Holy Book.
Because the Bible contextually and historically makes sense. Especially if you consider that it is only part of all that has been written and while it is the Word of God, it was written by man.
Because the Jesus kidd preached Love rather than judgement and that is the kind of thing I can get behind.
Because ((originally)) Followers of The Way were persecuted for doing things like loving on their neighbors and hanging out with the poor and being peaceful people.
Because it isn't about just living to die or even about living to go to Heaven.
Because through God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit and the Bible I can see purpose and worth and reason for humanity like I only glimpse in other belief systems. And those 3 things are the reason I believe in a higher power at all.

It's not simple, it's complicated. God is very complicated. As he should be. We try to make Him comprehensible and we can't. It just isn't going to happen. We will never fully understand the mysteries of God and the Universe, and even if we could? Seriously, how fucking boring would life be? And, of course, there are all the arguments... You can argue "If there was God, why does He let bad things happen?" But I think I should ask yourself why you and I let them happen before you ask God. And then there is the whole Bible ((specifically the Old Testament)) being violent etc etc, for which I have a one word answer: Context. For further information, please seek a coffee date with your faithful blogger friend Malia. Because that is a whole other slur of blogs. Then there are the one liners like how God hates gays and abortion and women. Dude, shut the front door with that. CONTEXT. I swear if I get any one liner responses from all you intelligent folk who read my blog? I will personally slap you across your impertenant little face with a Holy Bible and Jesus will laugh at you from his cloud. True story.

The truth of the matter is, this is just what I believe. But you know what? Even if you disagree, even if you believe something totally different than me? I'll still love you. Because my beliefs allow for that. And I am just that annoying.

Peace Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment