20 June 2012

Life Isn't Fair

Sometimes life is not fair. Life isn't fair for the 147 million orphans in the world today. Life isn't fair for the 12 million refugees of war torn countries. Life isn't fair for the 3 billion people who live on less than $2 a day. And those are just some big issues. Life isn't fair. There is pain, there is suffering, there is destruction, disease, loss, heartbreak, abuse, injustice - there is so much unfairness.

Life is not fair for those who cannot afford to feed their families.

As I struggle to be a better wife, a better about-to-be mom, a better daughter, a better sister, a better friend, and a better person - there are those who struggle with worse. My blessings far outweigh any injustice in my life. It has been told to me that Americans are miserable people because of one small (huge) personality flaw that we cultivate from youth - comparison. We compare ourselves with those who have more: success, wealth, beauty, money, time, passion, talent. Therefore we are nearly always unhappy because we believe that if we had what they have? That would be the ticket. And it doesn't have to be a movie star, it can be as simple as someone for a run on your street and you think to yourself, "If I looked like that." Or seeing your perfect kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom on Pinterest and imagining, "If I had that."

By American standards, my husband and I are not wealthy. We are at the bottom end of blue collar on a rich day. But I do not understand this way of thinking because we have way more than we could ever need. We buy things we absolutely do not need, like the paper towel holder and black bear soap dispenser we purchased this week. We have too much space that is not used nearly as well as it should be. Our bank account has money in it and we are never behind on a payment. How is it even possible that we are considered the poverty line?

Life is not fair for parents' who lose their children.

This weekend a heartbreaking situation arose in my community, not even in my community, it touched the life of a friend who happens to be one of the most caring human beings in the world and brought it to my community's attention. Her cousin and his wife lost their beautiful 5 month old little girl to unknown causes. Being pregnant? I did not want to hear this story. I did not want to hear about how much they loved their child, about what good parents they were, about how they rushed their sweet baby to the hospital, about how there was nothing to be done. It tore me into pieces and placed fears in my heart that are stronger than any I have ever known. I was kind of a wreck on Sunday.

But it also led me to really think about the entire situation, what would I do? How would I react? I can't imagine, but I think I would take a deep breath and scream as loud as I could. I would, of course, blame myself, insistent that I could have done something differently, better. And then I would yell at God, because it life isn't fair and it hurts. I'm sure I would shed tears, both angry and heart broken. But I hope, that I would pick up my Bible and read. Read about years in the desert, about others who lost loved ones, about suffering. I hope I would remember the people all around the world who lose their children everyday from preventable causes because they live in places where they are too poor, too filthy, too far from help. I hope I would think of the devastation that occurs all over the world by natural disaster, plague, and famine. I hope I would remember that it is okay to be hurt, angry, sad, and heartbroken. But also remember that I am not alone in my dark place, there are thousands who live here every day. Light a candle for each of those in the dark.

Life isn't fair, but it goes on. Life isn't fair, but it happens. And there are good things, such good things. And without the hard, those good things would not be as good. We would not appreciate them, we would not even see them. I am grateful for the unfairness in life because it forces me to see unfairness elsewhere and be thankful for all that I am blessed with on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment